I think we can all agree that if it’s covered in Buffalo sauce, it’s likely (definitely) delicious. Whether you’re noshing on Buffalo Chicken Dip, Buffalo pasta salad, Buffalo macaroni and cheese, or classic Buffalo chicken wings, you’re savoring every single minute.
We have quite a few Buffalonians in the office here at Hamilton Beach HQ and they are quick to praise all things Buffalo – from their prized Wegmans grocery store, to beef on weck, to the Bills, Sabres, and you guessed it, Buffalo sauce.
The Test Kitchen discussed what would and would not “Buffalo” well and settled on attempting to “Buffalo” fried cauliflower.
As previously mentioned, Buffalo sauce is the nectar of the Gods/undisputedly tasty and guess what? That holds true when fried cauliflower is covered in the tangy, bright orange sauce. Surprise, surprise.
This deep-fried snack is a creative vegetarian option to serve at your tailgate, party, or in front of the T.V. during the big game. Our tasting panel couldn’t have been more pleased with the result and would gladly eat these instead of or along side classic Buffalo wings on gameday. We all agreed on one thing though – get them while they’re hot. Right out of the deep frier is the best way to enjoy these vegetarian delights so go ahead and fry up the entire head of cauliflower – you’ll be shocked at how quickly they’re gone. And according to any Buffalonian, it’s ONLY acceptable to serve these bites with bleu cheese dressing (don’t even mention ranch). They’ll be quick to tell you that anything else is completely unacceptable.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- Dash celery seeds
- Celery sticks
- Blue cheese dressing
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 375°F.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine cornstarch, flour, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and white pepper. Add water to bag. Seal bag and shake until smooth.
- Add half of the cauliflower florets to bag. Seal bag and shake until florets are well coated.
- With basket lowered, carefully drop florets into the preheated oil. Fry florets until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from fryer, drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter with hot pepper sauce, remaining garlic powder and celery seed. Stir until blended.
- Add fried cauliflower to sauce and stir to coat. Remove from sauce and serve while warm with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.
The Hamilton Beach® 19-Cup Oil Capacity Professional-Style Deep Fryer has an immersed heating element for fast heating and cooking.