There’s something so comforting about cheesy potatoes. Whether you prefer baked potatoes topped with cheese and broccoli or creamy au gratin potatoes served alongside a steak, potatoes scream comfort food.
We wanted to make au gratin potatoes using the spiralizer – and we’re glad we did. The spiralizer cuts plain potatoes into beautiful ribbons that are satisfying to both the eye and the stomach. And it does it quickly – which is even better.
Spiralize two large potatoes and arrange them in a baking dish with melted butter, onion and garlic.
In a skillet over medium heat, make your sauce by adding butter, flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Once the mixture is thickened, stir in the good stuff – sharp cheddar cheese. Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and top with, yep, even more cheese, panko bread crumbs and butter. Bake until the potatoes are perfectly tender and the topping is bubbly and golden brown.
Serve these cheesy, rich potatoes alongside chicken or steak and your favorite greens. Whether you are feeding your family or guests, the potato ribbons are sure to be the star of the show. Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy.
Spiralizer Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion, garlic and 2 tablespoons butter. Microwave on HIGH until butter is melted and onion is tender.
- Using a spirializer, make ribbons of potatoes. Arrange potato ribbons in baking dish and cover.
- Microwave potatoes on HIGH until fork tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour, mustard, salt and black pepper until smooth. Add milk. Whisk until smooth and thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add 1 cup cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Using a spoon, press mixture into baking dish.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl in microwave oven, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in crumbs. Sprinkle over top of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Bake in oven until potatoes are tender, cheese is bubbly and crumb topping is browned, 30 to 45 minutes.
Create zucchini noodles, vegetable salad, cucumber ribbons, curly fries, and more with the 3-in-1 Electric Spiralizer.