I think we can all agree that cheese plus potatoes equals deliciousness. Whether you’re enjoying potatoes au gratin or a piled-high plate of poutine, having a little cheese with your potatoes is always a good idea.
The holidays are no exception. If you want another potato-centric side for your Turkey Day spread, plug in your Hamilton Beach slow cooker and make cheesy scalloped potatoes.
Add flour to the slow cooker crock then gradually whisk in milk, chicken broth, salt and ground white pepper. Stir in sliced potatoes. We sliced our potatoes in seconds using the Hamilton Beach® Stack & Snap Food Processor.
This appliance stays on my countertop (and gets a workout) during the holiday season. Whether I’m whipping up a quick dip or chopping carrots, celery, and onions for a hearty winter soup, it’s nice to know I don’t have to spend time manually slicing and dicing.
After the ingredients are mixed together, cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH For 3 to 4 hours or on LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
When the potatoes are finished cooking, switch the slow cooker to WARM. Then stir in gruyere, cheddar, and parmesan cheeses. Pro tip: use your food processor’s shredding disc to shred the cheese as well.
For the finishing touch, broil a mixture of Panko breadcrumbs and butter for 2 to 3 minutes until they turn golden brown. Sprinkle your cheesy potatoes with the breadcrumbs and a little bit of fresh rosemary and serve.
This dish is prime time comfort food. Whether it makes it’s way to your Thanksgiving table or you serve it alongside pot roast for a classic meat & potatoes meal, slow cooker cheesy scalloped potatoes is a wintertime side you’ll make over and over again.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Add flour to slow cooker crock. Gradually whisk in milk, chicken broth, salt and white pepper.
- Stir in sliced potatoes.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to WARM. Remove cover; stir in shredded Gruyere, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup shredded cheddar over top.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler on HIGH.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and butter. Spread crumb mixture in an even layer over foil on baking sheet. Place under broiler 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Sprinkle over scalloped potatoes and serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tip: Use a food processor to make slicing potatoes and shredding cheese a breeze.