Tomorrow, we celebrate the red white and blue with a beautiful trifle with strawberries, blueberries and homemade whipped cream. This all-American dessert can be made ahead and refrigerated, so it is perfect for a holiday cookout, and it’s much easier to make than it looks. Don’t worry, we won’t tell your friends you didn’t spend all day in the kitchen.
Test Kitchen Tip: The trifle can be made kid-friendly by replacing the almond liqueur with pineapple or orange juice. Or, make them their own special treat, a Strawberry Parfait.
Red, White and Blue Trifle
- 1 (10.75 ounce) package pound cake
- 1/2 cup almond flavored liqueur
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) package strawberries
- 1 (16 ounce) package blueberries
- Cut pound cake horizontally into three layers; brush both sides of each layer with liqueur.
- Divide and spread jam on top of bottom and middle pound cake layers. Stack layers and cut into 12 slices. Cut each slice in half.
- Line the bottom and side of trifle bowl with pound cake slices. Top with half of the strawberries and blueberries.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Spread half of the whipped cream over fruit in bowl.
- Set aside strawberries and blueberries for garnish. Top with remaining fruit and whipped cream. Garnish with remaining fruit.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Refrigerate any leftovers.
This festive take on the traditional trifle uses strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream to create a patriotic look that works any time of year.