Homemade gifts are always appreciated. Knowing someone took the time to bake something special for you makes the holiday season seem even more joyful. If you want to bake but don’t want to spend time scooping out cookie dough on multiple trays, try making scones.
Once you make the dough, pat or roll it into a circle, score the top and it’s ready to bake.
Not familiar with scones? They are traditionally served at afternoon tea with butter or jam. You can also enjoy them plain, especially if they are made with fruit. More substantial than a muffin, scones are also delicious for breakfast. Our scone has dried cherries and crunchy almonds, and sour cream makes them very tender.
With colorful cherries and sparkling coarse sugar on top, these scones would make lovely gifts wrapped in cellophane or served at a holiday brunch.
Cherry Almond Scones
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup cold butter, sliced into tablespoons
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Coarse sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixer bowl, stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until blended.
- Add butter pieces. Beat on MEDIUM speed until mixture is crumbly with some larger pieces of butter.
- In a large mixer bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH speed, beat eggs, sour cream, almond extract and vanilla extract until blended.
- Stir into flour mixture blended and no longer dry. Lightly knead in cherries and almonds.
- Divide dough in half. Form each into circles about 3/4-inch thick on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush each circle with milk and sprinkle tops with coarse sugar. Using a floured metal spatula, cut each circle into 6 wedges. Separate the wedges, leaving 1/2-inch between each wedge.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Hamilton Beach® Hand Mixer handles are designed for control and comfort, and the unique Bowl Rest™ feature allows the mixer to sit on the edge of the bowl to eliminate messy drips. A special QuickBurst™ button provides a quick boost of power and can be used for tough tasks at any speed.
How does one attach the case on to the hand mixer (model 62620) ?
These sound so good. I love anything with cherry in. Thanks for sharing.