Almost everyone loves spaghetti and meatballs and we in the Hamilton Beach Test Kitchen are no exception. It was, and still is, the ultimate comfort food. In this recipe, we substitute the traditional beef meatball with a lighter turkey version and classic marinara gets a roasted red pepper twist. Try this slow cooker recipe for your next pasta night.
Slow Cooker Ground Beef Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 5 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon hamburger seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sandwich or slider buns
- Toppings: cheese, bacon, French fried onions, banana peppers, pickles
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Remove onion to a small bowl. Add ground beef. Stirring occasionally, cook until browned.
- Combine onion and beef in slow cooker crock.
- In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, seasoning
- and salt.
- Pour over beef in crock. Stir to thoroughly coat beef with sauce.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 1 to 2 hours or LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Turn to WARM for
- Serve meat on sandwich buns or slider rolls. Top with desired toppings.
More slow cooker recipes