Okay, okay, we know. Pot roast is technically a beef recipe, but we couldn’t help it. We love how succulent and tender beef becomes when it’s cooked for hours in a slow cooker, so we just had to try it with chicken. It works beautifully, and in the end, you get a perfectly cooked, juicy chicken and delicious roasted veggies.
For this recipe, we recommend using a slow cooker with temperature probe, such as the Set & Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker, so you’ll be sure not to overcook the chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Roast
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (5 1/2 to 6 pound) whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 medium carrots, sliced 1 1/2-inch thick
- 4 small red potatoes, cut in eighths
- 3 celery ribs, sliced 1 1/2-inch thick
- fresh herbs, optional
- Place half of sliced onions on bottom of slow cooker crock.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle all sides with seasoned salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of sliced onions in crock.
- Arrange remaining onion, carrots, potatoes and celery around chicken.
- Cover slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours.