Don’t you love it when you discover a “secret” menu item that your favorite restaurant will make just for you? Apparently, the “medicine ball tea” at Starbucks®* is a secret no more. So many people were talking about it, we had to give it a try.
Even if you do not have a cold or flu, a cup of this tea can make you feel just a little bit better. It wasn’t on the menu at my store, but when I asked the barista, she knew exactly what I was talking about and how to make it. She added a few squirts of honey syrup, a bag of Teavana® Jade Citrus Mint® tea, a bag of Teavana® Peach Tranquility® tea into my cup and then topped all that with steamed lemonade. I let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes and ta-da, I had a hot, soothing blend to sip!
I enjoyed the combination and it got me thinking about how to recreate this popular brew at home using my Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle. The Teavana teas were easy to find in a supermarket nearby, but I figured any brand would do. I added mint tea, peach tea, fresh lemons and honey to my cart.
Electric kettles are super-fast for heating water, even faster than a microwave. They’re perfect for when you’re not feeling so good and need a cup of tea quick. You could even set up a tea station in your bedroom so the next time it will be close at hand.
|Did you know? This Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle was recently named the “Best Budget Electric Kettle” by forbes.com.
For our recipe, we squeezed half a lemon into a mug, added a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of honey, then poured in ¾ cup of hot water from the kettle. Finally, we plopped in the tea bags (1 mint tea and 1 peach tea) and let it steep. This subtle blend is very close to the famous coffee shop drink. When we tried it with the other brand of tea, the flavors were a lot stronger. In fact, the mint tea felt warm in my chest and if I had been suffering from a cold, it would certainly have been comforting.
Whatever your reasons for drinking tea, try this recipe–because you can make it at home and it tastes great!
TEST KITCHEN TIPS:
- Using a water filter, filtered water, or bottled water will yield better-tasting tea.
- Warm your cup or mug by rinsing it with hot water before adding the ingredients.
- Store tea bags in an airtight container to keep them fresh and dry.
Make at home: medicine ball tea
Yield: Serves 1
Author: Hamilton Beach Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 mint tea bag
- 1 peach tea bag
- Add juice from half a lemon (about 1 tablespoon), sugar and honey to your favorite mug.
- Pour 3/4 cup of hot water from electric kettle into mug.
- Add tea bags and let steep.
- Remove tea bags and enjoy!
Shop this post:
* Starbucks is a registered trademark of Starbucks Corporation. Use of the Starbucks trademark does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by Starbucks Corporation.