While you’re probably used to cooking chicken marsala on the stove-top, try making this classic Italian-American dish in your slow cooker. The slow cooker helps seal in the juices while the chicken cooks, leaving you with moist, flavorful meat AND easy clean up. Pick up bottle of Marsala wine on your way home and make Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala tonight.
We recommend searing the chicken breasts before putting them in the slow cooker. Dredge the chicken in flour seasoned with salt and cook skin-side down for about 4 minutes. Once the skin is golden brown, transfer the the chicken, skin-side up, into the slow cooker crock. Add wine, mushrooms, onions and salt to the crock and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
When done, transfer to a serving platter and set aside. Now it’s time to make the sauce. Transfer the remaining slow cooker liquid to a skillet and stir in a mixture of cornstarch and water that will help to quickly enrich sauce. Cook for about 3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Place the chicken breasts atop a bed of linguine and pour the finished sauce over top. Serve with a side salad and crusty, Italian bread for a restaurant-worthy, family-style meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 1/2 to 5 pounds chicken breasts with bone and skin
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Chopped parsley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, add flour, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Seal and shake. Shake a few pieces of chicken in bag at a time to coat with flour mixture; set aside. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- In a large skillet over medium, melt butter. Add chicken, skin-side-down, cooking about 4 minutes until skin is golden brown. Place chicken skin-side-up in slow cooker crock.
- Pour Marsala over chicken and add mushrooms, onions and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter. Cover with foil and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, stir water and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Transfer liquid from crock to a medium skillet. Stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Place skillet over medium-heat. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
The Stay or Go® 6 Quart Portable Slow Cooker offers thoughtful features that make it easy to take anywhere. It has a clip-locked lid with a tight seal for spill-resistant travel and full-grip handles to make carrying easy.