Amie Valpone decided to leave the corporate world of advertising to focus on her newfound passion of helping actual people adopt a healthy and clean lifestyle on The Healthy Apple. She works hands-on as a Personal Chef, Food Allergy Concierge and Healthy Family Pantry Stylist to guide people through their transition into a healthier lifestyle. Connect with Amie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
After years of living with chronic illness and autoimmune disease, I finally found the best cure for my ailments – a healthy, moderate diet that’s full of whole foods like fruits and vegetables, whole grains and rejuvenating herbs and spices. It can seem daunting to live a dairy-free or gluten-free life if it’s not what you’re used to, but there are more delicious foods and recipes out there than you could ever imagine! Although my diet has limitations, I never feel limited. Actually, I find that a healthy diet is the best way to superpower my life. Fueling my body with natural foods has improved my mood, helped me sleep better, created glowing skin and cleared my mind so I can live life to the fullest.
This Purple Cabbage and White Bean Pasta is one of my favorite healthy recipes to make in my new Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker. I’m obsessed. It’s so easy to use and creates incredible flavor! I love slow cooker recipes because I can spend 15 minutes tossing the ingredients together in the morning, go about my day, and come home to a fantastic meal.
This dish is made with chicken and white beans, so it’s loaded with protein that will leave you satisfied. The tomatoes, purple cabbage, thyme and basil make this a vibrant dish with loads of nutrients and rich flavors. A big bowl of this pasta makes a great dinner, and leftovers store well for lunch the next day, so heat up the slow cooker and get cooking!
Purple Cabbage & White Bean Pasta
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ cups elbow pasta
- In a large skillet, cook ground chicken and onion over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and transfer to the slow cooker. Add all ingredients except pasta. Cook on LOW for 6 hours or until veggies are tender.
- Add pasta; mix well and cover again. Increase temp to HIGH and cook for another 45 minutes or until pasta is cooked. Serve warm.
For “one-pot” simplicity, nothing beats slow cooking. But when it comes to bringing hot meals to parties and potlucks, spills can be a concern. With the travel-friendly Set & Forget® Slow Cooker, messes aren’t an issue.